Senior Advisor - Communications and Engagement | Multiple Locations
Senior Advisor - Communications and Engagement
- Lead communications and engagement work for our national Streets for People programme
- Contribute to reducing carbon emissions from transport and improving New Zealanders' physical, mental and community wellbeing
- Full-time, 3-year fixed term position, multiple locations
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
We are looking for a Senior Advisor, Communications and Engagement to support the Streets for People Programme.
Imagine Aotearoa streets where children can bike, walk or scoot to school independently. Where communities have more welcoming spaces to safely come together to celebrate and share experiences and where you can hear bird song instead of car engines. Streets for People has been set up to help make that a reality.
The Streets for People programme will see Waka Kotahi working with a group of councils to accelerate street change projects that will help Aotearoa achieve its emissions reduction goals, while creating vibrant, people-friendly places for thriving communities.
In this role you will work with the programme team and participating councils, to ensure we're engaging effectively with all partners, stakeholders and communities, sharing the vision of the programme and its achievements and managing risks and issues to get the outcomes we're looking for.
You are the right person for this role if you're an excellent storyteller who can form strong relationships internally and with our external partners. You will also need to have good project management skills and know how to identify risks and spot opportunities. Being able to work effectively in a team and come up with better ways of doing things will be important too.
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Previous experience in strategic communications and engagement planning and delivery at senior advisor level
- Experience in or exposure to an account/relationship management environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills and experience presenting complex information clearly and simply
- Sound knowledge of communications and engagement tools, techniques and channels
- Other specialist skills i.e. marketing, public relations, change communications
- Proven ability to build relationships with people at all levels
- Previous exposure to successfully working in a collaborative/matrix environment
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning in the field of engagement and communications
- Demonstrated knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an understanding of Te Ao Māori and promote tikanga and Te Reo Māori
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an appreciation of te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi) as it applies in the public sector
- A tertiary qualification in communications or a related discipline
- Training or qualification in IAP2 is desirable but not essential
Ko wai mātou | About us
At Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. We have a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the land transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years' time.
As a business group, Te Waka Kōtuia Engagement and Partnerships Group supports the success of Waka Kotahi by strengthening relationships with our central and local government partners, communities and industry. We do this by telling great stories about the work Waka Kotahi does. Our diverse work spans a range of partners and stakeholders - we support Ministers, coordinate collaboration across central government, lead relationships with our local government partners, and engage directly with the New Zealand public.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Midnight, Sunday 30 January 2022
For further information email: email@example.com
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer. We recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
We may start shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time.
Waka Kotahi requires that new employees are fully vaccinated (except for those who we accept have a genuine medical reason preventing vaccination).
Senior Advisor, Communications and Engagement - EP - PD - Jan2022.pdf (PDF, 317KB)
Follow us on