Certification Officer | Multiple Locations
- Apply your heavy and/or light technical knowledge and skills in the vehicle safety environment
- Champion compliance to create safer vehicles
- Location: Hamilton or Tauranga or other areas
Ko wai mātou | About us
As the lead regulator for land transport our purpose is to ensure that the system is safe, efficient, effective and operates in the public interest. Safety is a top priority for Waka Kotahi and we, as Te Rōpu Waeture (the Regulatory Services group), aim to improve safety and reduce the risk of harm by being a firm and fair real-world regulator applying principles of good practice grounded in Te Ao Maori - Whakapono (Integrity), Manaakitanga (Caring for people), Whanaungatanga (Relationships) and Kotahitanga (Unity). Being a real-world regulator means we take a systems view that is focused on improving safety outcomes and reducing harm, we work to understand why people behave the way they do and are pragmatic in how we respond, we encourage and educate to support people to comply and enforce compliance when necessary.
We encourage you to explore our regulatory strategy Tu Ake, Tu Maia – Stand Up, Stand Firmto learn more about our path to becoming a responsive regulator for the real world.
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
In this role you will be planning and leading audits into areas of high risk and non-compliance within the vehicle certification sector. You will use a range of tools to ensure vehicle certifications are being done to a high standard in accordance with all requirements, and that areas of risk are identified and dealt with effectively. You will exercise statutory interventions and other regulatory activities as necessary.
In this role you will work in a specialist regional team responsible for taking a proactive approach to safety and compliance, through reviewing and auditing industry participants, measuring their performance, and taking the appropriate regulatory action where non-compliance is evident. This is your opportunity to improve standards, systems and apply industry best practice. Drawing on your vehicle certification experience and excellent Vehicle Inspection Requirement Manuals (VIRM) knowledge, you will apply current legislation to a range of situations, ensuring desired outcomes are reached, resulting in greater safety and compliance.
Travel is a key part of this role and you will be out regularly engaging with service providers in your region, a vehicle will be provided for this purpose so you must have a Full Driver License, with no convictions.
As well as interesting work, we offer a competitive salary and a range of benefits including ongoing professional development, the opportunity to work flexibly (within our operational requirements), ability to start and finish from home, 23 days annual leave, subsidised health insurance, and an active social club.
We welcome applicants from any region in Central North Island, although ideally your residential address would be no more than an hour driving from either Hamilton or Tauranga office.
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To be successful in this role, you will bring knowledge and experience in:
- Certification of Fitness and Warrant of Fitness experience
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of VIRMs for CoF/WoF
- The ability to address specific issues and find resolutions within regulatory guidelines
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand and apply legislation, policy, and technical standards in an operational context
- High degree of confidence using multiple IT systems including strong skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to write well-reasoned, articulate reports.
- Experience in building and sustaining working relationships
- Professional credibility and the ability to relate well to people at all levels
- Current or recent WoF or CoF authorities
- NZ Certificate in Automotive Engineering L4 or 5
- Other relevant tertiary qualification and 5 years minimum of applied experience
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Sunday, 27 June 2021.
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please do let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Certification Officer REG PD June 2021.pdf (PDF, 319KB)
Follow us on