Principal Planner (1 year fixed term) | Wellington
Principal Planner (1 year fixed term)
- Shape transport initiatives and help make an impact to New Zealand's transport system
- Partner with stakeholders to determine land use decisions
- Apply your technical knowledge and lead consenting and activities
- 1 x Principal Planner role in Wellington, fixed term for 1 year; with an option of job share
Ko wai mātou | About us
At Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. Waka Kotahi has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
The focus of the Transport Services group is to provide, improve and maintain an integrated land transport system to effectively enable people-centred, technology-enabled, system focused transport services, in partnership with other system providers
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunities
As a Principal Planner, you will provide effective leadership and expertise in planning and consenting workstreams and provide support across Waka Kotahi for statutory consents and approvals.
These roles have great scope for building and working with key local stakeholders. You'll be representing Waka Kotahi at hearings, community meetings and other forums, and provide advice and oversight to enable decision makers to make transparent and informed decisions.
As well as being accountable for the Waka Kotahi values and behaviours, your role has the following specific key accountabilities:
- Provide technical leadership of consenting activities to ensure work is coordinated and integrated across System Design and wider Waka Kotahi teams
- Oversee the development and implementation of Consenting Strategies for all transport projects and network management contracts
- Represent Waka Kotahi at various hearings, community meetings and other forums
- Provide leadership, direction, oversight and input into development and/or approval of Waka Kotahi consenting processes, including consenting strategies, resource consent/authorisation/permit applications, notices of requirement (including variations/alterations and uplifts/surrender of the above).
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To be successful in this role you will need to bring your ‘know how':
- Comprehensive understanding of the Resource Management Act (RMA) regulatory process and an ability to communicate that process to non-RMA experienced people
- Experience in other relevant statutes including Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga (HNZPT) Act, Wildlife Act and Conservation Act
- Experience in drafting submissions and evidence and presenting evidence at hearings, including environment court hearings.
- Proven experience working with internal and external stakeholders and managing relationships, including undertaking community consultation and engagement
- An understanding of the transport sector across the transport planning, construction and network management lifecycles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to tailor communication styles appropriately to different audiences and situations.
- Tertiary qualification in planning or a related discipline (post graduate is desirable).
- Full Membership of the NZPI, RMLA (or equivalent is desirable).
Rā Katinga | Applications close Sunday 20th June 2021
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At Waka Kotahi we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
No File Attached
Follow us on