Senior Compliance Officer | Canterbury
Senior Compliance Officer
- Utilise your regulatory experience and make a difference to road safety
- Imbed a culture of compliance in the commercial transport industry
- At the forefront of cutting-edge regulatory work
- Christchurch location
Ko wai mātou | About us
At Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. Waka Kotahi has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
As the lead regulator for land transport our purpose is to ensure that the system is safe, efficient, effective and operates in the public interest. Safety is a top priority for Waka Kotahi and we, as Te Rōpu Waeture (the Regulatory Services group), aim to improve safety and reduce the risk of harm by being a firm and fair real-world regulator applying principles of good practice grounded in Te Ao Maori - Whakapono (Integrity), Manaakitanga (Caring for people), Whanaungatanga (Relationships) and Kotahitanga (Unity). Being a real-world regulator means we take a systems view that is focused on improving safety outcomes and reducing harm, we work to understand why people behave the way they do and are pragmatic in how we respond, we encourage and educate to support people to comply and enforce compliance when necessary.
We encourage you to explore our regulatory strategy Tu Ake, Tu Maia – Stand Up, Stand Firm to learn more about our path to becoming a responsive regulator for the real world.
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
As one of our Senior Compliance Officers you will apply a risk-based approach to addressing non-compliance where public safety could be at risk. Our focus is to ensure commercial drivers and operators are fully compliant resulting in a safer transport system.
This is a great opportunity to undertake meaningful work in a collaborative environment. This is a busy and varied role – you will audit and investigate commercial transport operators, commercial driver licence and endorsement holders and produce reports that may be used in prosecution outcomes. In addition, you will provide expert advice to transport operators and undertake enforcement action where non-compliance is identified.
Travel is a key part of this role and you will be out regularly engaging with operators in your region. So, you must have a Full Driver license, with no convictions.
As well as interesting work, we offer a range of benefits including ongoing professional development, the opportunity to work flexibly (within our operational requirements), 23 days annual leave, subsidised health insurance, and an active social club.
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To be successful in this role you will bring
- Proven experience in investigations, auditing, interviewing and negotiation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including influencing and presentation skills.
- A passion for working in a regulatory environment.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills
- The ability to understand and apply technical information and apply it in an operational context.
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to relate well, create rapport and build credibility.
- Sound decision making skills
- Able to adapt to an ever changing operating environment.
- Able to apply innovation when approaching your work.
- Able to demonstrate perseverance to achieve and exceed goals.
- A post graduate qualification is preferable or proven work experience in a similar work environment.
Rā Katinga | Applications close : 17 May 2021
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please do let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Senior Compliance Officer SCT REG PD April 2021.pdf (PDF, 359KB)
Follow us on