Senior Legal Counsel, Commercial | Multiple Locations
Senior Legal Counsel, Commercial
- Be part of building a future focused transport system for all New Zealanders
- Work with a strong and experienced team of professionals
- Wellington (preferred) or Auckland based
About us | Ko wai mātou
At Waka Kotahi, the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solutions focused legal advice and to help the Agency comply with the law and mitigate its legal risks.
The opportunity | Te Whiwhinga mahi
The Senior Legal Counsel, Commercial's role is to provide legal leadership across all aspects of commercial, technology, privacy, operation of the Agency and insurance legal work for the Agency.
The Senior Legal Counsel, Commercial operates within a complex stakeholder environment in the transport sector and you will proactively build relationships with other parts of the legal team, other teams across the Transport Agency, and key government agencies to better understand the context we are working in and support knowledge sharing and leverage best practice thinking.
About you | Ko koe tēnei
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Experience in advising on the commercial legal projects and risks (including ICT, major construction projects and other commercial contracts) of large complex organisations.
- A broad range of legal experience, including commercial, general litigation management, public administrative and privacy law.
- Experience in providing support on the development of commercial strategies.
- An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity.
- A strategic thinker, who can think beyond the issue at hand and set a clear strategic direction for the Agency with sound commercial judgement and acumen
- An innovative thought leader, who is curious and constantly thinking outside of the box.
- The ability to connect effectively with colleagues in an environment where there is overlap between the work that the team do
- Strong negotiation, analytical and problem-solving skills
- 8+ years of post-qualification experience
- Current New Zealand Law Society Practicing Certificate
Applications close | Rā Katinga: Monday 10 August 2020
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
PD Senior Legal Counsel Commercial July 2020.pdf (PDF, 809KB)
Follow us on