General Counsel, Governance | Wellington
General Counsel, Governance
- Be part of a strong in-house legal team
- Provide a broad range of expert legal advice
- Wellington based
About us | Ko wai mātou
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution focused legal advice and to help the Agency comply with the law and mitigate its legal risks.
The opportunity | Te Whiwhinga mahi
As our General Counsel, Governance, you will have 10+ years post qualification experience from a leading law firm or relevant in-house legal experience. This experience will enable you to provide strategic leadership across all aspects of the Governance legal work for the Agency.
The work we do is varied and complex, so you will need to be open-minded, solutions-focused and able to think outside the box to find new and innovative ways of working. You'll also need to be an exceptional communicator who can build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity for a dynamic and commercially savvy lawyer to join us in this in-house role.
About you | Ko wai koe
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Experience working with the Crown Entities and Public Finance Acts
- Experience managing Board-related processes
- Proven experience leading teams in a demanding environment and through change.
- 10+ years post-qualification experience.
- Extensive experience in actively managing the legal risk profile of an organisation in a large and complex environment.
- Extensive experience in actively managing the legal risk profile of an organisation.
- A growth mindset and collaborative working style.
- A strong customer-focus.
- An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- A tertiary qualification in law.
- A current New Zealand Law Society Practicing certificate.
Applications close | Rā Katinga: Thursday 19 September 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
PD General Counsel Governance Sept 2019.pdf (PDF, 925KB)
Follow us on