Vehicle Specialist | Auckland
- Apply your investigation and auditing skills in the transport sector
- Champion vehicle compliance to create a safer road network
- Our work is unique, stimulating and challenging
About us | Ko wai mātou
At the Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa.
The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years' time. Building the culture and capability to embrace that changing environment is critical to delivering our strategic commitment of "great journeys to keep NZ moving".
The Regulatory Services group ensures focused, clear, effective end to end regulatory systems management of risks and improve safety and regulatory outcomes by creating a primary accountability for regulatory management. The group is accountable for operational policy, entry, in-service performance, and exit functions to manage harms and risk. The group ensures the setting of clear and consistent expectations in terms of policy, practices, procedures and processes so that customers and regulated parties know what is expected of them and what to expect from us.
The opportunity | Te Whiwhinga mahi
The purpose of this role is to provide knowledge and skills to inform and drive the compliance approach to commercial operators in the transport sector primarily in the provision of technical vehicle advice. This role focuses on operators achieving compliance through the establishment and management of appropriate maintenance systems and processes.
You'll work with a range of operators to achieve compliance through a range of activities from education to enforcement activities. Your role will be working with operators and colleagues to inspect vehicles and evaluate systems and processes to ensure safety and compliance standards across the commercial transport industry.
You will deliver presentations to operators and industry groups to articulate vehicle standards and compliance. There will be, on occasion the need to inspect Heavy vehicles and work alongside other agencies such as the Police Commercial Vehicle Safety Team, as such you will need a strong mechanical background.
About you | Ko wai koe
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years applied experience
- An interest in using regulatory interventions to reduce harm and improve standards
- The ability to investigate and address specific issues and find resolutions within regulatory guidelines
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand and apply legislation, policy, and technical standards in an operational context
- High degree of confidence using multiple IT systems including strong skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to write well-reasoned, articulate reports.
- Working knowledge and understanding of COF is useful
- Experience in building and sustaining working relationships
- Professional credibility and the ability to relate well to people at all levels
- NZ Certificate in Automotive Engineering L4 or 5
- Other relevant tertiary qualification
Applications close | Rā Katinga : Sunday, 26 January 2020
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
NZ Transport Agency is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please do let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Vehicle Specialist REG PD Jan 2020.pdf (PDF, 600KB)
Follow us on