Commercial Transport Officer | Waikato
Commercial Transport Officer
- Utilise your experience in a regulatory or compliance environment
- Imbed a culture of compliance through education, advice, regulation and enforcement
- Make a contribution to safer roads in New Zealand
- Based in Hamilton
At the Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depend on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand.
The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years' time. Building the culture and capability to embrace that changing environment is critical to delivering our strategic commitment of "great journeys to keep NZ moving".
The Regulatory group ensures focused, clear, effective end to end regulatory systems management of risks and improve safety and regulatory outcomes by creating a primary accountability for regulatory management. The group is accountable for operational policy, entry, in-service performance, and exit functions to manage harms and risk. The group ensures the setting of clear and consistent expectations in terms of policy, practices, procedures and processes so that customers and regulated parties know what is expected of them and what to expect from us.
The purpose of this role is to apply a risk-based approach to addressing non-compliance where public safety could be at risk. Our focus is to ensure commercial operators are fully compliant resulting in a safer transport system.
You will educate transport operators, provide expert advice and conduct enforcement action where non-compliance is evident. You will also audit and investigate commercial driver licence and endorsement holders and produce reports that may be used in prosecution outcomes.
Travel is a key part of this role and you will be out regularly engaging with operators in your region. So, you must have a Full Driver License, with no convictions.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role you will bring
- Training and experience in a regulatory profession including investigative, auditing, interviewing and negotiation skills
- The ability to develop workable solutions to problems using a range of analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to understand and apply legislation, policy and other technical information and apply it in an operational context
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effective presentation skills
- The ability to write professional reports to a high standard
- Able to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to at least an intermediate level together with basic Excel skills
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to relate well, create rapport and build credibility
- Excellent influencing skills
- Able to apply a systematic and methodical approach to work
- Able to demonstrate perseverance to achieve and exceed goals
Applications Close: Sunday, 28 July 2019
For further information please email: email@example.com
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Commercial Transport Officer REG PD June 2019.pdf (PDF, 795KB)
Follow us on