Principal Optimisation Engineer/Planner | Wellington
Principal Optimisation Engineer/Planner
- Opportunity to drive solutions to optimise NZ's multi-modal transport system
- Work collaboratively with a range of partners and stakeholders
- Apply your traffic engineering or transport planning skills to improve customer experience
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
Building the culture and capability to embrace that changing environment is critical to delivering our strategic commitment of "great journeys to keep New Zealand moving".
The focus of the Customer Design and Delivery group is the delivery and management of our transport experiences for our customers in order for them to undertake a safe and efficient daily journey.
This Principal Optimisation Engineer will be at the forefront of our most complex issues involving customer journeys in Auckland, Wellington and the other high growth urban centres. You'll look beyond the day to day operations of the transport system to influence and provide multi-modal transport optimisation thought leadership. You will lead and contribute to national and local optimisation initiatives from small scale tactical improvements to the development of business cases for large national programmes to deliver safe and efficient journey across the transport system.
You will use your background in transport planning or traffic engineering to focus on the short-term opportunities in our transport network, taking a multi-modal view. You'll use your collaborative and pragmatic approach to influence and drive to a joined-up approach to improving customer experiences, alongside key partners and stakeholders. You will be creative and practical and will look for opportunities for continuous improvement. Your experience with network operating frameworks and plans will allow you to lead the development of optimisation plans and own the development and prioritisation of optimisation programmes at a national level
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- In-depth transportation experience, in a similar role, across all transport modes,
- Required: Sound knowledge of network operating frameworks and plans and transport business case processes
- Sound knowledge of traffic engineering and/or transport planning and the ability to identify and apply best practices and innovative solutions to solve customer problems
- A proven ability to effectively evaluate complex problems, identify options and provide well considered recommendations and advice
- An understanding of transport system policy and processes within the central or local government context is preferred
- Excellent influencing and relationship management skills, working with partners and stakeholders to shape priorities
- Strong analytical and written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work with technical experts to co-design, translate and deliver solutions applying a strong teaming approach
Applications close 23 January 2019
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Principal Optimisation Engineer CDD PD January 2019.pdf (PDF, 946KB)
Follow us on