Principal Optimisation Planner | Wellington
Principal Optimisation Planner
- Opportunity to shape better use of our multi-modal transport system
- Work to establish and embed network operating frameworks and processes
- Apply your transport planning experience to bring strategic thinking into operations
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
The Journey Management Centre team, part of our Operations group, delivers a transport system for safe and predictable journeys across the range of transport modes that people choose to use. They work to continuously improve how the transport system operates as a whole and ensures we are well prepared for responding to emergencies on a local and national scale. They have strong relationships with local groups and councils to ensure our plans align.
The Principal Optimisation Planner will look beyond the day to day operations of the transport system, providing multi-modal transport optimisation thought leadership, advanced influencing and expert advice to drive an integrated approach to improving customer experiences using the transport system. The role is focused on ensuring we have a nationally consistent planning and prioritisation model for optimisation initiatives, working as part of a national team to embed this into regional delivery to ensure we deliver safe and efficient journey across the transport system.
You will use your background in transport planning to take a system approach to how we optimise our transport network. You will work closely with a range of internal and external stakeholders to establish and build our network operating framework, processes and network operating plans. This is an opportunity to get in at the ground level, contribute to change and actually see it come to fruition – a role where you will make a real, tangible difference. You will be able to apply both your bigger picture thinking and your operational understanding to dig into the detail and drive change. You will be comfortable with ambiguity and be keen to drive change in the optimisation space.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- In-depth experience, in a similar role, with significant transportation experience across all modes
- In-depth knowledge of network operating frameworks and plans
- Sound knowledge of transport planning or traffic engineering and the ability to identify and apply best practices and innovative solutions to solve customer problems
- A proven ability to effectively evaluate complex problems, identify options and provide well considered recommendations and advice
- An understanding of transport system policy, processes (including business cases) and statutory requirements is preferred
- Excellent influencing and relationship management skills and experience working with partners and stakeholders to shape priorities
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills
- The ability to lead and manage projects
- An adept facilitator, able to work with technical experts to co-design, translate and deliver solutions applying a strong teaming approach
- A passion for coaching and mentoring to drive improved practice
Please note that the successful candidate will commence the role ideally from 29 July 2019.
This role can be based in either Wellington or Auckland.
Applications close 26 May 2019
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Principal Optimisation Planner Ops PD March 2019.pdf (PDF, 982KB)
Follow us on