Principal Transport Planner
Principal Transport Planner
- Work on some of the biggest transport infrastructure projects in the country
- Bring your passion for shaping integrated transport systems that makes a difference to daily life for all New Zealanders.
- Flexible location
- 2 positions available
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years' time.
The focus of the System Design and Delivery group is on designing and delivering an integrated transport system - one that reflects the plans and priorities of the Transport Agency and its partners.
The purpose of the Principal Transport Planner role is to lead integrated transport planning initiatives through the phases of business case development; from confirming the strategic purpose and direction, through the benefits realisation process, to identifying a recommended programme of work and subsequent recommended multi-modal project options, including support of the consenting phases.
You'll get the opportunity to lead, develop and promote sound solutions to transportation issues, with a national focus. Use your strong relationship management skills and build effective partner and stakeholder relationships across the sector to bring information together. You'll be able to mentor and lead as well as demonstrate your critical eye for technical data.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role you will bring
- In depth experience in a similar role with significant transport system design initiatives, including management and delivery of detailed business cases for major projects
- Good understanding of the building blocks of an integrated transport system with demonstrated experience of joining the dots of strategy, systems planning, operations and technology
- Connecting people and navigating legislative process and political drivers to deliver great outcomes for our customers
- A working knowledge of the business case process to ensure this is effective and setting clear direction for the Agency and its partners
- Experience working with partners and stakeholders to shape priorities
- An awareness and understanding of the social and environmental impacts that can result from enhancing the transport system
- The ability to model effective leadership, mentor other members of the team and help build a strong team environment
- The ability to identify and design useful and enduring indicators and measures, as well as interpret outputs from transportation models
- A good understanding of economic evaluation principles
- Sound project management skills, including a high delivery focus and excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to apply rigorous knowledge and methods
- Excellent communication skills
While the role is preferably Wellington or Palmerston North based, this can be flexible.
Applications close Friday 18 January 2019
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information call contact email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Principal Transport Planner SDD PD December 2018.pdf (PDF, 672KB)
Follow us on