Principal Engineer Vehicle Standards | Wellington
Principal Engineer Vehicle Standards
- Provide a serious contribution to road safety in NZ
- Be part of the Vehicle Standards Team and make a difference
- Fast changing broad dynamic environment
- Role with huge variations from small wheels to big wheels
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The performance and success of the organisation depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years' time.
The Operational Standards and Guidelines team deals with complex technical issues, seeking the balance between regulatory requirements and keeping the country safe. We wear the hat of the regulator because safety is a top priority.
In this role, you will provide thought leadership on vehicle regulatory services and activities across light and heavy vehicles and will be the main point of contact for complex issues with respect to vehicle regulatory services. You will work with Agency staff, industry partners, organisations and other government departments to ensure we improve the customer experience and keep our roads safe. The role will identify emerging risks and opportunities to embrace innovation and improve the operational management and delivery of regulatory services. You will be a decision maker in setting the standards and guidelines for in service vehicle inspections, repairs, modifications and the acceptance of vehicles into the NZ Fleet.
Join a highly knowledgeable, professional and committed team working collaboratively across the Agency and beyond. You will be both the lead subject matter expert and the lead regulatory expert. This is a great opportunity if you are looking to grow your existing high level of knowledge and skill and expand your sector knowledge as there is a commitment that we will develop you.
What you will bring
- Strong mechanical and automotive engineering experience as well as vehicle knowledge
- Comprehension and application of accepted principles underpinning widely applied good practice for professional engineering
- Proven understanding of NZ regulatory vehicle requirements, rules and standards, preferably in a regulatory environment
- Good report and technical writing skills along with clear communication skills and the ability to talk with sector groups.
- A logical and pragmatic approach to solving complex challenges affecting a wide range of people
- A systematic approach to problem solving
- A strong focus on collaboration to achieve agreed outcomes
- The curiosity and technical nous to research solutions using external sources
Join us and impact safety across NZ.
Applications close: Monday 30 July 2018
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Principal Engineer Vehicles PD July 2018.pdf (PDF, 944KB)
Follow us on