Data Scientist | Wellington
|Position Type:||Permanent full time|
|Attachments:|| Data Scientist CEB PD Mar 2018.pdf (PDF, 800KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-May-2018|
- Join an instrumental team at an exciting time of growth
- Provide decision-makers with expert insights gained from data analytics
- Bring your mix of technical and communication skills
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
In the Customer Experience and Behaviour group, our aims are to create a shared understanding of our customers and translate our customer promise into tangible experiences and targets; to make data accessible and normalise its use in strategic, operational and tactical decision making; and to expand the use of behaviour based design to support delivery excellence.
This role influences the delivery and achievement of the Transport Agency's strategic objectives by providing decision-makers within the Transport Agency and wider Transport Sector with expert insights gained from data analytics.
You will have the opportunity to use your analysis, programming, and communication skills to solve complex problems, and contribute to interesting and diverse projects that keep New Zealand moving. You will be part of a small team of dedicated professionals, working to provide expert insights across the Agency. The team contributes analysis and information to decision-makers and help to drive an insights-led, customer-focused organisation. You will be a motivated self-starter who is able to build relationships with people at all levels of the organisation, who can effectively ‘tell the story', translating analysis to insight. You will be enthusiastic about what these insights mean for the organisation, the transport industry and better outcomes for New Zealand.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- A minimum of five years applicable service in an advanced analytics environment is preferred
- An advanced level of statistical programming (SQL experience is required, and R programming is preferred)
- A strong grasp of data science concepts and complex statistical analysis techniques, and experience in their application
- Strong relationship management and communication skills, with proven experience translating complex analysis into plain English appropriate to the audience
- Experience working with large administrative datasets to find the stories and insights in the data
- A curious mind-set and fast learner, with demonstrable experience of innovative thinking and looking for improvements
- Knowledge of ETL processes and experience working in a server-based environment would be an advantage
- Understanding of information security and discretion
Applications close 27 May 2018
For a copy of the position description and to apply: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.